The Licking County Library (the Library) was organized as a county district public library in August 2008 under the laws of the State of Ohio. Previously the Library, formerly known as Newark Public Library, was organized as a school district public library in 1908 under the laws of the State of Ohio.
Public library funding throughout the state is based on a percentage of the tax revenue received in the State’s General Revenue Fund. Patron fines and other library fees have typically accounted for less than 5% of the Library’s financing. The state funding was frozen 2005 - 2007. Then, it was further reduced by the global economic downturn in 2008.
As a result of the decreased state funding, the Library placed a five year, 1 mill property tax levy on the ballot in May 2010. This levy passed and the Library started receiving revenue from the levy in 2011. The Library’s current funding is approximately 49% from the state, 48% from the 1 mill property tax levy, and 3% from patron fines, fees and other miscellaneous sources.